Fredric Beerstein has been teaching and performing oboe since the age of nineteen. He is both an accomplished musician and attentive, patient teacher.
He has played in orchestras that have accompanied such performers such as Yo Yo Ma, Emmanuel Ax, Annie Akiko Meyers, Cho-Liang Lin, Van Clyburn, Midori and Sarah Chang. He is the oboe instructor at California Lutheran University in Thousand Oaks, California, and principal oboe of the Westlake Village Symphony Orchestra. Fred Beerstein is a 20-year member of the New West Symphony and has played with the Thousand Oaks Philharmonic for more than a decade.
His work has also included recording for television and film as well as hundreds of chamber music performances. He has performed in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. Tenured positions also include principal oboist for the South Coast Symphony Orchestra and the principal oboist of the Bakersfield Symphony Orchestra.
Fred taught for 17 seasons at the Summer Program of the Idyllwild Arts Academy, as instructor at Ventura College, Operation Oboe and has a successful a private studio.
Other professional experience includes performances with
- the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra at the Hollywood Bowl
- the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra on tour
- the Pacific Symphony Orchestra
- the Aspen Festival Orchestra
- the Aspen Chamber Symphony
- the Texas Festival Orchestra
Fred Beerstein studied with
- William Criss (Metropolitan Opera Orchestra principal oboe)
- Allan Vogel (Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra principal oboe
- John Ellis (LA film and TV recording artist)
- David Weiss (Los Angeles Philharmonic principal oboe)
- Salvatore Spano (Long Beach Symphony)